Monday, March 13, 2006

Kiteboarding

What is kiteboarding? Here is an explanation, and here is a video. Video comes complete with girls in bikinis! More on the video, the guy in it, Dimitri, was boarding "with" us, or at least next to us. In reality he was over us. We were in the boat and this guy jumps right over
us, probably 20ft in the air...amazing stuff.

So anyway last week, big-M and I tried our hand at kiteboarding. As many of you know, we have a trainer kite and it was finally time to utilize our skills for some travel. We had a great time, but this is not a sport for the periodic vacationer. We worked really hard and barely got it. However, I'm feeling pretty good about our progress. In kiteboarder magazine, they list how you should progress. After 2 sessions, we are about where they say you should be after 5....looks like we'll just have to go again!!! It is quite a thrill. I was nervous/scared much of the day.

I've attached a few pictures for your enjoyment. Unfortantely for big-M, all the pics are of me because I didn't touch the camera, mostly because it was really wet and I figured I'd end up dropping it in the water.

Here is the kite:



Ok, next I need to get the kite in the air:

The next step is to gett the board on my feet while keeping it up and depowered so it doesn't yank me out of the water:


Finally, ready to ride, just need to control the kite's power enough to get me out of the water and not so much that it takes me flying (not yet anyway).



dowp! Too much power, ripped me right out of the board.

The goal and the pro, Demitri, flying high:

7 comments:

Joel said...

Darn it, now you have given me something else I must try. It looks like a lot of fun.

I like the video. The girls were cute and the moves were awesome. :)

ML said...

Wow! I'm so impressed, that looks really hard. I love that you two are constantly trying new stuff. Great to see you guys last night.

r.m said...

Looks very challenging! I'm not sure that I have enough coordination to be able to do all of those things at once.

Joel said...

Trust me Robert, I know you can do it. You may not have the coordination but you definitely have a lack of that part of your brain that tells you not to do stupid things. Much like me. Let's go this weekend. I'll prvide the Guinness. :)

Nastanis said...

Can I go too?

Joel said...

Absolutely, let's go.

r.m said...

What the heck, I'll try anything once, especially if there is Guinness involved