Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Professional Social Events

Seriously, why do we do this to ourselves. Socializing with work people is just a bizarre kind of work, not a social thing.

So there is this IE department dinner here that I'm considering attending. I am an alum of the department, but not otherwise associated with it. However, I may need to tap some resources there for my current job. Additionally, given my sporadic employment habits, I'm very reliant on others to get my random work. Random projects are not advertised, they come to you through connections. However, I hope that I don't need to find random work around here. Ahh...I suppose I should go, but I loathe the Engineering small talk. It will also cause me to have only about 30-60 minutes with my kid that day.

2 comments:

ML said...

I have tried to figure out why these things are so painful. I always figured it was because the people in economics are really socially inept. When I was working, the social things weren't that bad. I think the academia social scene is awful!!! I have never felt comfortable at academic social gatherings. The only time it is okay is at a bar with just graduate students. I really think it is that the majority don't know how to interact with others. However, contact wise it might be good and since you haven't seen them in a while, you should have something to talk about.

Nastanis said...

Good point on the academic versus industry. It might be the lack of communication skills, but there is ridiculous hierarchy in academia that must somehow contribute as well.