Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend Events

This was a nice pro-community weekend for us. Saturday afternoon/evening was a park party in our neighborhood. Just a pot-luck in the park, but extremely well-organized, rather more like a birthday party a super-mom would throw. The highlight was cardboard slides. They spread cardboard down a hill and then mostly kids used pieces of cardboard to slide down. Lil-M followed the big-kids and waxed her board prior to sliding. There must have been 75 adults and at least that many kids.

Yesterday we visited Carrboro, a small ultra-progressive town near Chapel Hill. We had been there in our previous lives to listen to music at Cat's Cradle, and buy goodies at the Performance Bike shop. This time there was a music festival. Many closed streets, more bands than one could possibly take in, and excellent kid activities. It was an interesting environment that was enjoyable. We had glimpses of a burg event in it, but with ridiculously more disposable income floating around, which has pros and cons. Lil-M whined much of the afternoon about not having ice cream like half the kids we passed and I whined about the heat, but overall we were glad we made the trek. We had a drop-in on my cousins whom I rarely see, and it was well worth the stop! I may have even contributed to the event. We were sitting on lots of random stuff, railroad ties, bricks, tree roots, etc. At some point I managed to make a nice tear and pretty near expose myself to all those walking behind me. I came up with the great idea of twisting my skirt, so only my hip was exposed....I wonder who out there is blogging about the "sight" they saw at the festival!

No comments: